You can think of prebiotics as "food" for your probiotics. They support the growth of healthy and beneficial bacteria in the gut and they can lead to durable change in the overall function of the gut microbial community. As a class of plant compounds, they are typically found in the non-digestible parts of foods, such as banana peel, the skin of apples, onions, and garlic. We chose inulin -- a soluble fiber found in many plants -- to complement the probiotics in Daily Digestive Essential and boost long-term digestive health.
- Support probiotic activity
- Promote microbiome diversity
- Increase the number of healthy bacteria
- “Potential for enriching next-generation health-promoting gut bacteria through prebiotics and other dietary components.”
- Gut Microbiomes, 2019.
- “Inulin as a multifaceted (active) substance and its chemical functionalization: From plant extraction to applications in pharmacy, cosmetics and food.”
- European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, 2019.
- “Prebiotic inulin-type fructans induce specific changes in the human gut microbiota.”
- BMJ Journal, 2017.
- “Effect of Chicory-derived Inulin on Abdominal Sensations and Bowel Motor Function.”
- Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, 2017.